We get questioned often about the brewery which stood on High Street in Logansport. Bottles from both the Columbia brand and the K G Schmidt brand of beer come through the museum doors. We average 3 to 4 bottles per year. Bottles which were unearthed or found between the walls or maybe under the porch of a home being renovated...once in a while someone will present a bottle, usually K G Schmidt brand, that is still sealed, with product inside. The museum has a large collection of both brands, both empty and with product. We only accept them if the owner intends to dispose of them in the waste or recycle bin. Fortunately most people end up keeping them.
CITY BREWERY John Mutschler, German immigrant - a brew master - started the first brewery in that location. There had been other, smaller operations in Logansport, at other locations. The High Street location is the best known and lasted the longest.
LOGANSPORT BREWING COMPANY President and manager Eugene Prager. The address 418-420-422 High Street. Employees included Adolph Mutschler.
Logansport Journal, May 30, 1889, page 3
There will be a general meeting at J. Mutchler's city brewery, for the purpose of organizing a stock company to purchase and operate the above brewery. All saloonkeepers and business men in general are most earnestly requested to attend.
Logansport Journal, Feb. 27, 1890, page 3
Medland & Gleitz have secured the contract for building the addition to the city brewery, in which will be placed the artificial ice machine.
Logansport Pharos Tribune, January 16, 1891, page 4
A little over a year ago Eugene Prager and August Binz with several Chicago parties purchased the city brewery of the late John Mutchler and at once set to work remodeling and otherwise improving it, expanding about $65,000 ($1,799,782.24 today) in making needed changes. (omissions) It is such enterprises that make a thriving city. Mr. Prager has just returned from Chicago and while there succeeded in purchasing the interests in the brewery owned by Chicago parties and hereafter he and August Binz will be sole owners.
COLUMBIA BREWERY General Managers - 1895, Harry Brookmeyer Jr.; 1897, John G. Keip; 1920 Frank V. Albert. By 1915 Jacob Maier was the brew master.
Logansport Pharos Tribune, Oct. 23, 1895, page 4
Robert Boerger,one of the proprietors of the Columbia brewery is in the city. His visit means the erection of a $20,000 addition to the brewery, an expenditure made necessary by the rapid increase in business since the present management took hold of it. Accompanying Mr. Boerger is Mr. Lewis Leahle, an architect, who has made the construction of breweries a study. He has prepared plans for many of the largest breweries of the country.
The new addition shall be constructed just west of the new building. In dimensions it will be 35 feet front by 100 feet deep, two stories high and will have a cellar capacity of 30,000 barrels. It will be built of stone, brick and iron, and the estimated cost complete is $20.000.
It should be noted here that Prohibition put a halt to production of beer, however the Columbia company can still be found in the City Directory under "soft drinks".
Logansport Daily Tribune, November 16, 1919, page 3
BIG QUANTITY OF BEER POURED INTO RIVER
Many thirsty souls of Logansport would undoubtedly have taken a swim in the chilly waters of the Eel River last week if they had only known what occurred near the Columbia Brewery. A large quantity of' 8 per cent beer which had been held at the brewery in the hopes that prohibition would be defeated, was poured into the river. A hose attached to the vat in which the beer was contained and throughout the week, a continual stream of the liquor was poured into the river. The plant will now be closed down until the quantity of dry beer which is now on hand is disposed of.
(Cass County Historical Society)